The Complete Memory Foam Guide
Offering a free downloadable Memory Foam Guide e-book covering all the major issues when choosing a memory foam mattress or a memory foam mattress pad topper.
For more information on choosing a memory foam topper, be sure to also read our memory foam topper review.
Memory Foam Guide: A Buyer’s Guide to Choosing Memory Foam
Summary Of Contents:
- The development of visco-elastic memory foam by NASA for use in the space program.
- The special features and properties of memory foam:
- It deflects motion, so that the movements of one sleeping partner do not disturb the other partner.
- It is thermal sensitive, responding to the body’s temperature and giving support to the body right where it needs support.
- It has a cushioning effect, giving relief from “pressure points”.
- Testimonials and experiences of those who have purchased memory foam products.
- Review of the different methods of measuring or comparing one type of memory foam to another.
- Memory Foam Guide for choosing the memory foam that is just right for you. This includes the three major considerations.
- The density of the memory foam
- The height of the memory foam
- How much you weigh
- Review of memory foam quality considerations
- Whether to choose a memory foam mattress or a memory foam mattress pad topper
- Some of the limitations of memory foam: Memory foam is not for everyone
- Memory foam warranty issues
- Description of some of the other types of memory foam products available
Some excerpts from this informative Memory Foam Guide e-pamplet include:
A definition of IFD, Indentation Force Deflection…
“In order to arrive at a simple qualitative indicator, Indentation Force Deflection (IFD) was coined as the technical ‘softness’ or ‘hardness’ of a given piece of foam. This was formerly known as the ILD or Indentation Load Deflection. IFD measures the pounds of force required to indent a 4-inch-thick sample of foam…..”
A guide to memory foam density and the effect it has on the quality of the memory foam experience:
“Many people generally assume that the "best memory foam" would be the most expensive and the most dense foam. But this is not the case. The best memory foam is the most comfortable memory foam and the density of the most comfortable memory foams are in the middle to high range, from 3 lb to 5 lb….”
Whether to Choose a Memory Foam Topper or a Memory Foam Mattress?
“If you are in the market for memory foam and haven't decided on whether you want to buy a new memory foam mattress or whether you want to buy a memory foam topper, here are a few considerations….”
The limitations of memory foam:
“Memory foam is not for everyone. It is not recommended for those who weigh over 250 lbs….”
“Because memory foam is a temperature sensitive material it can be heat generating. For this reason it is not ideal for those who "sleep hot". But there are certain patented fabrics which help to neutralize the heat of the memory foam, such as CoolMax® fabric. Cotton sheets are also….”
This simple, helpful guide includes reasons for choosing a memory foam mattress:
“By now everyone has seen the Tempur-Pedic advertisements showing a child jumping up and down on a bed next to a wine glass that doesn't move or spill. This demonstration showed that memory foam, unlike regular inner spring mattresses, deflects motion. If one partner moves on the bed, the movement is not transferred to the other partner. This deflection of motion is another advantage of memory foam over conventional mattresses…..”
The history of memory foam:
“They required a seating material that would reduce the impact of the g-forces at the time of take-off and cushion the astronauts during their long journey into space and back again. Visco-elastic memory foam was a scientific discovery made by NASA to fulfill this objective….”
Guidance on memory foam warranty issues:
“A mattress pad cover will protect the memory foam from exposure to moisture from body sweat or liquids. Some memory foam warranties are nullified if the product is not used in conjunction with a mattress pad cover….”
Free Downloadable e-Book: Memory Foam Guide
The e-book chapters of this Memory Foam Guide are:
- How to Choose a Memory Foam Mattress or Memory Foam Topper Pad
- The Development of Visco-Elastic Memory Foam and It's Uses
- The Memory Foam Experience
- Wikipedia Definition of Memory Foam
- IDF: Indentation Force Deflection
- Different Types of Memory Foam: An Explanation of Memory Foam Density
- How to Choose Between 3 lb, 4lb or 5 lb Memory Foam
- Memory Foam Height Considerations
- Whether to Choose a Memory Foam Topper or a Memory Foam Mattress?
- What Do We Recommend for Those Who Weigh over 250 lbs?
- Memory Foam Warranties
- Other Memory Foam Products